Saturday, February 28, 2009

Approved Prayer

I do not like the idea of a National Day of Prayer, I am uncomfortable with all of these presidential and congressional prayer breakfasts, I don't like that every political convention and inauguration has a prayer(even if I liked Joseph Lowery's), and I don't like the fact that President Obama starts every public event with prayer.

However, if we are going to have prayers at these public events then the prayers should not be vetted.  I understand that an intemperate prayer might make a politician uncomfortable but this probably means that political events could do without prayer.  The idea of the White House vetting prayers sounds too much like the Church being subservient to the State and nothing good happens when the Church decides to let the State have final say over what the Church says.

No comments:

Post a Comment